Bilingual Education in Hungary
The Hungarian Educational System
|Years of Age||Type of School|
Bilingual Schools in Hungary
Subjects Taught in English
Academic Subjects in Different Vocational Schools in Hungary (FL)
Vocational Subjects in Different Vocational Schools in Hungary (FL)
- Hotel and Catering
- Guiding and Tourism
- Trading and Commerce
Other Subjects in Different Vocational Schools in Hungary (FL)
Subjects in the National Programme in Karinthy Frigyes Gimnázium
Note: 3 subjects are compulsory for a school to be bilingual.
- P. E.
Subjects in the IB Programme in Karinthy Frigyes Gimnázium
- Enviromental Studies
- Theory Of Knowledge
A Very High Standard of Knowledge in Academic Subjects in a Foreign Language (As Well)
Achieved through teaching school subjects in the medium of a foreign language.
The knowledge of the language
is not the aim but it is the means of acquiring further knowledge, thus higher
standards can be achieved both in the target language and the subjects.
Foreign language teaching is there to support the subjects, not for its own sake.
Not only are the students expected to study subjects (3-7 different ones) in the
foreign language but are equally encouraged to excel within the sphere of each separate
Foreign Language Teaching/Learning in Vocational Secondary Schools
- Language orientated schools
- intensive language learning periods
- zero-year programmes (20 lessons/week)
- past studies + preparation programmes (e.g. 4 weeks in summer before first year, 30-35 l/w)
- initiation programmes (first 3-4 weeks of first year)
- week-end studies all year (8 hours/saturday)
- every summer (2-4 weeks/summer)
- foreign language learning in upper years
- foreign language lessons (5-10/week)
- subjects taught in foreign language:
- 3-5 subjects
- 9-16 lessons/week